Train within an Internal Medicine program that is at the forefront of medicine providing effective, efficient, and equitable care!
Welcome Letter from the Program Director
Dear Residency Candidate,
Welcome to Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles! We invite you to explore the top 10 highlights of our Internal Medicine program.
- Experience our special “Ohana” culture. Forge strong, family-like relations with 50 co-residents, 121 faculty, and 40 fellows.
- A major academic hospital which provides 23 tertiary care services to 4.7 million members and clinical training to the Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine students.
- Teach medical students from UCLA (as a site for the third-year UCLA medicine clerkship) and from USC (as a site for the required Sub-I).
- A champion for resident wellness.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity.
- Consistently achieves a 100% fellowship match rate.
- Offers in-house fellowships including Cardiology, EPS, Interventional Cardiology, Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Pulmonary-Critical Care, Allergy/Immunology, Nephrology, Palliative Care, Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, Community Medicine and a Heme-Onc affiliation with UCLA-Olive View.
- Have access to unique research opportunities utilizing the world’s largest integrated EMR.
- Participate in resident QI projects, which have received awards for best research.
- Shape your residency experience during 22 weeks of free electives.
We are excited that you are considering one of our 3 tracks- Categorical, Research, and Preliminary Medicine.
Thomas Y. Tom, MD, FACP
Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles
Clinical Professor of Medicine, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine, Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
The Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center(LAMC) is a multi-specialty teaching hospital located in Hollywood, California.
We provide training to 236 residents and fellows in 21 programs. The 528-bed medical center is the tertiary referral hospital for 4.7 million Kaiser Permanente members. As a major teaching hospital for UCLA, Kaiser Permanente offers an unparalleled diversity of patients spanning from primary care to complex tertiary cases. Our patient population reflects the diverse Southern California demographic.
There is an Electronic Medical Record (EPIC) for both inpatient and outpatient care, and is the same system used by Kaiser Permanente nationally. Residents have easy computer access to detailed patient reports including imaging studies, labs, pathology reports, dictations, appointments and pharmacy records. All imaging scans are viewable on the PACS system.
New additions to our medical center include a 24/7 physicians’ gym, updated private on-call rooms and resident lounge, and a 24/7 cafeteria including coffee bar.