Our mission is to support the growth of future leaders in Psychiatry who have a passion for patient-centered care, innovation, and clinical excellence, and who understand the value of personal and professional wellness in helping others thrive. We aim to reduce the stigma toward mental healthcare through our words, actions, and attitudes as we serve our surrounding community with kindness and compassion.
The Psychiatry Residency program is located in the Inland Empire of Southern California. Our four year residency program offers an outstanding academic medical education within a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings.
The Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center, with a brand new state-of-the art building just open in 2013, is a multi-specialty teaching hospital located in Fontana, California. The 400 bed medical center is the tertiary referral hospital for 598,575 Kaiser Permanente members. Our program also utilizes the Kaiser Permanente Ontario Medical Center, a 224 bed satellite hospital to our main medical center. Our patient population reflects Southern California demographic and ethnic diversity – 39 percent Caucasian, 29 percent Latino, 15 percent African-American, and 14 percent Asian.
The Psychiatry Department consists of faculty with diverse training experiences, allowing residents to gain knowledge from an eclectic range of styles of practice. This is a close-knit department within a large medical center. The faculty are dedicated and committed to resident education in an environment that values open communication.
- Commitment to Resident education
- Broad training experience with exposure to a diverse patient population with respect to cultural and socioeconomic factors, in addition to exposure to a vast range of psychiatric illnesses
- Subspecialty exposure with outpatient clinics designated to a variety of areas (e.g.- pain management, eating disorders, Woman’s Mental Health)
- Teaching opportunities for Residents to work with medical students
- Outstanding fellowship or job placement upon graduation within and outside of Kaiser Permanente
- Center for Medical Education with Resident lounge, multiple large conference rooms and library with computer access workstations
- Faculty also hold academic appointments at Loma Linda University and USC
Here you will learn to practice cost-effective, evidence-based, patient centered, and population based medical care. Many graduates will choose to stay with Kaiser Permanente (KP) throughout our various locations within California. Fifty percent of southern California Kaiser Permanente graduates have entered competitive subspecialty fellowships. Kaiser Permanente senior residents have been very marketable and highly recruited upon graduation by universities, private practices, and Kaiser Permanente.