The Kaiser Permanente Southern California Community Medicine Fellowship program offers seven Junior Faculty positions to graduates of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics residency programs.
Positions are located in
- Los Angeles (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine & Pediatrics)
- Fontana (Family Medicine)
- Orange County (Family Medicine)
- San Diego (Family Medicine)
- Woodland Hills (Family Medicine)
The 13-month fellowship (July 1 – July 31) is full-time and pays $100,000. Benefits include medical/dental coverage, 4 weeks paid vacation, 1 week paid educational leave, and a $1,500 educational stipend.
The program prepares fellows to become clinical leaders, educators, and agents of positive change. Fellows care for underserved patients while working with community health leaders to improve healthcare delivery and outreach.
Typical community health activities include:
- Caring for patients at safety-net and school-based clinics
- Teaching & mentoring medical students and residents in community health
- Attending bi-monthly seminars on community health topics
- Evaluating health needs of specific populations
- Leading and advising community health groups
Bi-monthly seminars guide fellows on essential principles of public health and community medicine. Topics include health policy, program development and evaluation, health care disparities, leadership development, health literacy, and social determinants of health.
Finally, fellows collaborate throughout the year with community stakeholders to design and implement a specific health intervention of their choosing. These interventions build capacity by introducing tools of integrated healthcare – i.e. quality measurement, chronic care management, and health education – to low-resource settings.
Click on the video below to learn more about community medicine fellow alum, Gladys Felix, who focused her project on improving language development in her Spanish speaking pediatric patients.
Community Medicine Fellow at Hollywood High School Based Clinic
Community Medicine Fellow at Mobile Clinic in Skid Row Los Angeles