Welcome to the Kaiser Permanente Fontana Internal Medicine Residency Program.
As a top hospital in the Inland Empire according to the 2015-2016 U.S. News and World Report, Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center enables residents to train in a highly supportive environment that fosters the highest standards of care in the Southern California area. The goal of our residency program is to train residents to be compassionate, skilled clinicians that can be successful in any of the disciplines that are available to successful internists. In addition to gaining important clinical skills and knowledge, our residents have the advantage of learning within a healthcare system that excels in delivering top quality care.
The Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center is a multi-specialty teaching hospital located in Fontana, California. The hospital and adjacent clinical offices are regarded as the major referral center for the entire Inland Empire. Kaiser Permanente offers an unparalleled diversity of patients spanning from primary care to complex tertiary cases, with the ethnic diversity found in a rapidly growing area of Southern California. Eighteen percent of our admissions are indigent, county-hospital patients.
- KP Fontana Medical Center is a teaching hospital for Kaiser Permanente residents, fellows, affiliate residents and medical students
- Our residents practice side by side with physicians in a medical group rated 5 stars for quality by Medicare.
- Our family-like atmosphere affords residents frequent opportunities to develop relationships with attendings and other residents across all specialties.
- Our clinical faculty that value education of residents as a primary part of their responsibilities.
- Residents have access to cutting edge medical technology and advances as a tertiary referral center
- Didactic teaching across multiple specialties
- Four months of unrestricted electives
- Excellent fellowship or job placement upon graduation within and outside of Kaiser Permanente
- New Center for Medical Education with Resident Lounge, multiple large conference rooms and Library with Computer access workstations
- Faculty also hold academic appointments at Loma Linda University and UC Riverside
During their three years, house staff will spend 45 percent of their time in our ambulatory program. The Resident Ambulatory Care Center offers cutting-edge training in primary care. In this clinic, residents provide continuity care to their assigned panel of patients and are mentored by our experienced General Internal Medicine faculty.
Many medical groups and universities value the Kaiser Permanente Thrive theme featuring preventive health care and utilization of a state of the art electronic health record which supports national health guidelines with best practice alerts, pharmaceutical patient safety, and coding features. This culture of quality healthcare forms an important cornerstone of resident education at Kaiser Permanente Fontana.
Historically, 50 percent of southern California Kaiser Permanente graduates have entered competitive subspecialty fellowships. Kaiser Permanente senior residents have been very marketable and highly recruited upon graduation by universities, private practices, and Kaiser Permanente.