Hippocrates Circle Program
The Hippocrates Circle program helps youth from under-represented communities and diverse backgrounds realize they can pursue a career as a physician. Through the collaborative efforts of the local school districts, medical schools, and doctors and staff from Kaiser Permanente’s Southern California region, Hippocrates Circle helps to bolster self-esteem in participants and outline a path to success. The selected individuals enrolled in the Hippocrates Circle will have several opportunities in their fellowship to interact with practicing physicians.
Hippocrates Circle Program: http://hippocratescircle.kaiserpermanente.org/Web/
STEM Academy High School Partnership
The mission of the STEM Academy is to instill a love of scientific inquiry and application and to empower students to pursue higher education by learning in an interdisciplinary and contextualized learning environment.
Medical interns and residents mentor science, technology, engineering and mathematics students on campus and in the hospital. Students receive hands-on medical experiences, such as surgery simulations on mannequins.
Summer Urban Fellowship San Diego
An exciting interactive program that partners High School students from San Ysidro High School, a high school next to the US Mexico Border, with college and medical students from underrepresented groups. Features of the program are:
- 6 week program
- Based on lectures on Health Disparities
- Practice Based Learning Modules
- Teaching interviewing skills, study habits, and preparing a CV
- Shared journeys from Residents, medical students, and college students
- Community volunteerism
- Culminates in a student developed and run local community Health Fair using learnings from the program
Yearlong Student Outreach Program at La Maestra Community Clinic
- Yearlong Internship program with La Maestra Community Clinic located in one of the most underserved areas of San Diego County
- Work with Physicians, Nurses and Allied Health Professionals
- Participate in Health Education, Outreach, Shadow professionals during their patient interactions
- Mobil Van used to engage community in difficult to access sites.
- Learn about community resources, social determinants of health
- Leverage experiences to help make decisions about career path